Thursday, August 31, 2017

Delphine then stopped along a road for me to buy a painting from a local vendor, before proceeding to the Central Market.


This day was to be an 'easier' day for me by staying in the local Mwanza area. We first visited the Mwaloni Fish Market where the tiny fish were bagged for delivery to many countries who import them. The bigger fish were being dried and packaged as well. We took pictures of the Nile Perch - a larger fish found in Lake Victoria. I was able to also see more of the giant Marabou storks here. Under the roof a number of egrets could also be found flying between piles of fish bundles. Below are pictures of Nile Perch which have been dried. I also included a picture of a Marabou stork found in a nearby creek, pecking at garbage.

Delphine then stopped along a road for me to buy a painting from a local vendor, before proceeding to the Central Market. I was surprised to find we had to walk through the many market stalls to even more stalls within. It went on endlessly and was very crowded. People visit the markets daily, bartering for a multitude of goods. When looking at fabrics for a caftan for my mother, I discovered you can also create the design of the cloth yourself. There were too many choices for me to decide.  We returned to the Maasai Market to verify the amount of powder I should be snorting up my nose - since the first amount seemed to be too much for me to handle. We also arranged to see a group of Maasai men and women perform some of their traditional dances - in a nearby abandoned building they seemed to have taken over. The Maasai are known for their jumping, particularly in their dances.


Delphine drove through parts of the city centre and pointed out houses of important government people and stopped for me to take a picture of Bismarck Rock along the shore of Lake Victoria. This rock is known as the 'Balancing Rock' since it sits atop other rocks and never falls over.

Although we planned to go for dinner, unfortunately a large truck had crossed the median and was blocking the street to our destination. We had to postpone and returned to Agape Lodge.  The Internet has not been working so my post has been delayed. I took my early night to recuperate from my busy schedule. (My body also seems to be rejecting something from it with a mild case of diarrhea. I have decided to leave the Masai medicine alone for now, in case it was related.)